Some common questions about our games are answered below. If you have any other questions, please contact us!
How to Pronounce Nooskewl
Some people don't notice the little gear at the top left of the title screen. You can click it to change settings such as screen size, audio levels and text language.
Some people don't like the default keybindings. You can set them in settings. However, the reason they are the way they are is to make it easier to remember them. They are laid out in a "+" (plus) shape the same as a Xbox 360 controller's buttons. The WASD keys form the plus. Those keys have the same actions as the corresponding Xbox controller buttons.
It goes further than that though. During the game you can use crystals to buy new skills. You can then "equip" skills on any button you choose in the Abilities menu. When you open the abilities menu, you'll notice there are 4 buttons you can map actions to (actually only 3 because "Jump" is forced on one of the buttons.) Those buttons are also laid out in a + shape. And you guessed it, the WASD keys and Xbox controller buttons map directly to the shape you see on the display by default.
Graphics modes in video settings with a star beside them are modes where you don't need linear filtering enabled and the graphics will still look great. For other modes, linear filtering is recommended.
Technically, the difference is pixels are perfectly square in starred modes, whereas the screen may be a pixel or two wider than the content in unstarred modes and stretching must occur.
Configuration File and Save States
The configuration file and save states can be edited if you're careful, but make backups! The configuration file is named config.ini and saves are named save0.lua, save1.lua and save2.lua.
Windows Vista and up:
Mac OS X (Mac App Store version):
Mac OS X (other versions):
Playing on macOS
Monster won't run on macOS 10.13 or later. It runs on 10.6 to 10.12. The game uses outdated programming libraries that are no longer available on macOS. We may fix this in the future.
Sound on Linux
Monster is an old game that uses OSS for sound. To get sound on modern Linux operating systems, you can install the libpulsedsp:i386 package and run the game like this:
List of stats and what they affect:
- HP: Hit points
- MaxHP: Maximum hit points when fully cured
- Attack: Damage dealt by physical attacks (before adding weapon)
- Defence: Subtracted from enemy attacks
- Speed: Fastest combatant moves first, then second fastest etc.
- MP: Mana points
- MaxMP: Maximum mana when fully rested/elixired
- M.Def.: Magic defence. Subtracted from magic attacks
- Luck: Increases chance of critical hits and blocks (up to a maximum of 20%)
- Attack and LHand and/or RHand (weapon power) are combined to give attack power
- Defense and one of H/C/FArmor are combined to give blocking power. Only one of H/C/FArmor is used, depending on which part of the body was hit. H/C/F stands for Head, Chest, Feet respectively, and each has a different probability of being hit.
As of version 1.10, there is a Fairy who follows you around whom you can buy consumable items from. What's the deal? Why is she there sometimes and sometimes not? There are two situations where she will appear: if you are low on potions, or if you have no Heals. "Low" is an arbitrary amount, based on the value of each item. Holy waters and Elixirs are worth more than Cure2s and Cure2s are worth more than Cure1s. If the "value total" of your items is over a certain number, the Fairy won't appear. One other note: if you are low on gold and the Fairy appears, she'll give you 250 gold.
- Hold F5 for 5 seconds -- enter/exit superpower mode
- Hold F6 for 5 seconds -- restore all HP/MP
Copy and Paste
The copy and paste functions on the load/save screen allow you to transfer saves between different platforms, for example your phone and your computer. For example, press Copy on a save state on your phone and paste the resulting text into an email. Open the email on your computer and Paste it into the game.
- Do I Need to Play Them in Order?
- Configuration Location
- Recording with FRAPS
- Command Line Paramters
- Save States
- Known Bugs
Do I Need to Play Them in Order?
All three of the games in the Monster RPG series are separate entities that can be played in any order.
On Windows, the configuration file is located in:
%APPDATA% is usually:
which is a hidden folder, so turn on display of hidden folders in Explorer settings. The file is named config.ini.
On macOS, the file is located off your home directory (/Users/<yourusername>) in:
also named config.ini.
On Linux, the configuration file is located in:
On Android the file is located on your sdcard (/sdcard) in:
Recording with FRAPS
Sound may record badly with FRAPS by default. To fix this, first find your computer's audio sampling rate. You can find it by right clicking the audio icon in the taskbar, clicking Playback Devices, right clicking the device audio is playing through and selecting properties. Somewhere in these tabs (it varies by audio hardware) you'll find a sampling rate such as 48000 or 44100 Hz.
Now open config.ini (where it is located is described above). If you don't have one, run the game and exit to create one. Find the line that says extra_args= and add +freq,<HZ> replacing <HZ> with the value you got from step 1. That is, a plus sign, the word freq, a comma then the sampling frequency. You can add more arguments (listed below) by separating them with commas.
Command Line Parameters
- +mute // no audio
- +freq // sampling rate is next argument e.g., 44100 or 192000
- +samples // next argument is samples per audio buffer e.g., 4096 (must be power of 2)
- +float-samples // use 32 bit floating point samples for audio (default is 16 bit integer)
- -vsync // default is on
- +fps // show FPS
- +log // enable console logging in release mode
Not on Mobile:
- +fullscreen // regardless of settings
- +scale // next argument is a number, e.g., 5 is 5x the base window size
- +width // next argument is window/fullscreen width
- +height // next argument is window/fullscreen height
- -custom-cursor // disable custom cursor
- +opengl // the only option on other platforms. default on Windows is D3D.
- -directsound // the default, this will cause it to pick automatically
- +winmm // other available audio drivers...
- +wasapi // other available audio drivers...
- +install // force to ask about installing a .desktop again (e.g., if you said no before)
On Android the file is located on your sdcard (/sdcard) in:
Saves are stored as compressed JSON files. This tool (for Windows) can decompress and compress them (source code included.)
On Windows you can drag and drop save states onto the batch files. They'll create files named save.dat and save.json.
The game executable can also be used to compress/decompress saves in a pinch, e.g.,
- Progression bug: at one point progression/leveling was updated to try and avoid large jumps in stats. A problem was introduced to existing save games: the new leveling numbers didn't take into account games that had already been started. You may see a negative number for experience required for the next level and your HP/MP may go above the planned highest values (999 HP/250 MP.) The only fix is to start over or continue with higher stats. This bug doesn't affect any newly started games on the latest version.